The NBA’s Board of Governors voted Thursday to reimburse the Oklahoma City Thunder “several million” dollars for an issue regarding the contract of All-Star forward Kevin Durant, Zach Lowe of Grantland reports. Durant signed a five-year, maximum-value extension in the summer of 2010, before the ratification of the newest Collective Bargaining Agreement in 2011. The new CBA sets guidelines for what Lowe calls “super-max” deals. According to Larry Coon’s NBA salary cap FAQ, players can qualify for a super-max contract — which pays them 30 percent of the salary cap — if they meet any of the following criteria: Named to the All-NBA First, Second or Third team at least twice Voted as a starter in the All-Star game at least twice Named the NBA Most Valuable Player at least once Because Durant met those criteria when he signed the contract, the ratification of the new CBA put Oklahoma City on the hook for more money than it was anticipating; the Thunder could not have known the provisions of the new CBA when they inked Durant to his extension. Thursday’s vote, which Lowe says was not unanimous, reimburses the Thunder the difference between what they thought they would owe Durant and what they actually will owe him, under the terms of the CBA. This difference, according to Royce Young of CBS Sports, is “roughly $15 million.” At this point, it’s unclear if the Thunder will also have Durant’s extra salary removed from their cap space, but at the very least the development gives OKC some extra money to play around should ownership be willing to pay the luxury tax.
NBA Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations Stu Jackson will be leaving the league after more than 13 years, commissioner David Stern announced Wednesday. Jackson will be replaced by veteran league and team executive Rod Thorn, who will assume the title of President of Basketball Operations on August 1.
“Stu has made enormous contributions to the NBA over the past 13 years,” Stern said. “He informed (Stern and several other league officials) some months ago that after a long and distinguished career at the league, he felt that this was the appropriate time to step down. We thank Stu for a job very well done, including assisting with the transition to Rod, and wish him the best in his future endeavors.”
Jackson was in charge of all oncourt and international basketball operations, including game rules, conduct, discipline and analytics. He also served as chairman of the NBA Competition Committee and on FIBA’s Competition Commission and USA Basketball’s Board of Directors.
“The NBA has given me an extraordinary opportunity to work with some of the most talented people in sports and I am extremely proud to be associated with the remarkable global growth of the league, which couldn’t be in better hands with Rod coming in to lead Basketball Operations,” Jackson said in a statement. “I’m looking forward to applying my NBA experience as I move onto my next challenge.”
Jackson has been in college or pro basketball for over 30 years. Prior to coming to the NBA, he also served as as head coach of the New York Knicks, was President and General Manager of the Vancouver Grizzlies, head coach at the University of Wisconsin, and assistant coach at Providence College, Washington State and the University of Oregon.
Thorn, meanwhile, returns to the league office, where he previously spent 10 seasons as President of Basketball Operations, after executive stints with New Jersey and, most recently, Philadelphia. He also served earlier in his career with the Chicago Bulls.
Jakarta – San Miguel Beermen came out as the champion of ASEAN Basketball League (ABL) 2013. They make sure the title after win over Indonesia Warriors 70-55 in the third game.
In a match in Mahaka Square, Wednesday (06/12/2013) night local time, Beermen already winning since the first quarter. They closed the quarter with a 14-10 advantage over the Warriors.
In the second quarter, the Warriors had time to catch up and just left half a 20-21 ball in position. But this quarter remain the property Beermen with a score of 33-27.
Beermen getting away in the third quarter and was ahead 11 points at 53-42 position. Beermen then closes the quarter with a 53-43 advantage.
Beermen advantages persist in the fourth quarter and 17 points in their winning positions 65-48. Beermen were kept going and won 70-55.
With the victory in the third game, the ABL Beermen juar clinched with a 3-0 aggregate advantage over the Warriors in the final best of five format. In the two previous games were played at home, the Beermen also recorded victories.
Pauliasi Taulava became the best performers of the Beermen had 19 points, 6 rebounds, and 3 assists. While the Warriors camp, Mario Wuysang so it’s best with 21 points and 3 rebounds.
For the Beermen, this is their first ABL title. As for the Warriors, this defeat means the failure to defend the title in the 2012 season earned last.
The NBA Players Association filed an unfair labor practices charge against the league to combat the new anti-flopping fines, but the National Labor Relations Board refused to rule on the complaint. Now, the NBAPA is seeking an arbitrator to work between itself and the NBA, according to CBS Sports’ Ken Berger. In October of 2012, the NBA announced a set of punishments for faking or exaggerating official calls: “We are now in the process of scheduling a case with our arbitrator to determine whether the NBA is allowed to unilaterally impose discipline in an area that exceeds the commissioner’s authority without the consent of the union,” NBPA interim executive director Ron Klempner told CBSSports.com on Tuesday. “It’s a subject they need to bargain with us, and we hope that the arbitrator will find that any type of discipline must be collectively bargained.” The complaint against the NBA was filed by the ousted director of the NBAPA, Billy Hunter, who said the league should not have the power to fine its players without discussing it and then earning consent from the union. In the regular season, players were warned once after a first-time offense before being charged $5,000, $10,000, $15,000 and then $30,000 for follow-up offenses. Nineteen NBA players were given warnings during the year, and five players received the initial fines. There were stricter rules without warnings during the playoffs, and eight players earned $5,000 fines in the postseason. The NBA and NBAPA could resolve the issue between themselves to avoid the need for arbitration, and Berger reports discussions are ongoing. Outgoing NBA commissioner David Stern said he was happy with how the anti-flopping rules worked to combat a growing league-wide problem.
JAKARTA – A total of 20 big name in the NBA record ever visited Indonesia.
Finally, two NBA legends, Horace Grant and Rafer Alston Indonesia helped enliven the mat NBL All Star 2013 in the DBL Arena, Surabaya, Saturday (06/29/2013).
Horace Grant who had been crisscrossing the NBA with the Chicago Bulls, Orlando Magic and LA Lakers will be joined in the Red team coached by Anthony Rinaldo Ferry Sinaga (Kukar Garuda Bandung) and Aprijadi (Hangtuah South Sumatra).
While Rafer Alston who had shot to fame as Houston Rockets point guard will be joined with the Blue team coached Rastafari Horongbala (Dell Aspac Jakarta) and Abdurrahman Padang (Stadium Jakarta).
Before Grant and Alston, already there are 18 other big names who ever brought by DBL Indonesia. Indiana Pacers player, Danny Granger is the first name that was imported by DBL. When it comes Granger in 2008 to participate in the NBA Basketball Clinic.
Special for Indonesian NBL All-Star, DBL Indonesia has since 2012 invited the big name NBA to come into play. Point guard action-packed magical assists, Jason Williams came with Ricky Pierce, Vin Baker, and Duane Causwell.
LAS VEGAS—Charlotte is the home of the Hornets once again.
The NBA unanimously approved Charlotte’s nickname change from Bobcats to Hornets on Thursday at the league’s Board of Governors meeting. The original Hornets built a supportive fan base in Charlotte from the time they entered the league in 1988 until they moved to New Orleans in 2002.
But the new owners in New Orleans have changed the team’s name to the Pelicans. That opened the door for owner Michael Jordan to bring the Hornets name back to Charlotte. The change will take place after the 2013-14 season.
“We’re thrilled to bring back the Hornets to Charlotte and the Carolinas,” Jordan said in a statement issued by the team. “The passion and enthusiasm around this name change by fans in this market has been unmatched. They overwhelmingly told us what they wanted, we listened and we couldn’t be happier with the Board of Governors’ approval of the name change. With the young team we are developing on the court, the direction of our business and the return of the Hornets name, we are extremely excited about our future. The buzz is back!”
The city, and the franchise, has been looking for a fresh start. The Hornets were a ticket-selling powerhouse for years, leading the league in attendance eight times and selling out 364 straight games in their turquoise, white and purple uniforms. The city bonded with a charismatic team that included such as stars Alonzo Mourning and Larry Johnson and fan favorite Muggsy Bogues.
But the franchise fell on hard times under previous owner George Shinn, who took to the team, and the Hornets name, to New Orleans. The NBA brought an expansion team back to Charlotte two years later, a team nicknamed the Bobcats in part due to founding owner Bob Johnson’s name.
The brand never resonated with the people the way the Hornets did, in large part because the team only has had one winning season and one playoff appearance in its first nine years of existence. The Bobcats, with their nondescript orange and grey color scheme, won just seven games two years ago and only 21 last season. So they are hoping the energy brought by the name change, even if it will take another year to set in, will somehow help galvanize a young team.
“We want to reach back and grab some of that equity that the Hornets earned in our community,” Charlotte COO Fred Whitfield said. “They did a lot of great things off the court. They were involved in the community. They became very accessible to the Charlotte fans and citizens of Charlotte. We want to reach back and grab some heritage and use it as we move forward to build a brand with our young team that continues to improve.”
The Bobcats’ website hailed the return of “Buzz City” and team officials said 2,000 season-ticket holders turned out at a downtown party that turned into a celebration of the name change. Bogues and other former Hornets including Rex Chapman, Kelly Tripucka, Dell Curry and Kendall Gill attended as well.
Commissioner David Stern said that he had heard pleas from Charlotte basketball fans for years to give them back the Hornets nickname, and he initially brushed those aside with a “get over it” view of the complaining. In time, however, he came to understand how important the name was to the community.
“It stayed there, bubbling below the surface, and there is something to it,” Stern said. “I think that the team is going to receive support from fans who think that this is a step in the direction that the fans have been asking for, and this is an attempt to both satisfy the fans and its accompanied by a kind of very specific market research that allows the Hornets to say, yes, this is what the market is asking for and they’re very much serving their market by making this change.”
The board also gave final approval to several rules changes, most notably expanding instant replay in the final two minutes to help officials with the block/charge call, perhaps the most difficult judgment in the game. If an official reviews a play to see if a defender’s feet were in the restricted area or not on a block/charge, the official can now also review whether the defender’s feet were set for a charge or if his body was still moving for a blocking foul.
“You always try to level the playing field and basically get it right,” said Kiki Vandeweghe, the league’s new vice president of basketball operations. “That’s the main focus is getting calls right.”
Officials now will also be able to review whether an off-the-ball foul occurred before or after a player started his shooting motion on a made shot, or before or after an inbounds pass. And during any review, the referees will also be able to now decide if any unsportsmanlike or “unnecessary” acts, including flagrant fouls, merit further punishment.
Two rules changes were adopted as well:
—It will no longer be a clear path foul if the defender gets ahead of the offensive player in the frontcourt before the foul is committed.
—If a player on offense stands out of bounds on purpose to create more spacing for his teammates, the offensive team will lose possession of the ball.
Li-Ning’s enthusiasm in supporting sport in Indonesia apparently not kidding. This time, the China-based company also appreciates to sponsor two basketball teams Indonesia, Satria Muda Britama and Indonesia Warriors.
Both Indonesia’s basketball team got a contract with a duration of 3 years. Previously, Li-Ning enthusiasm seen as sponsoring Indonesian badminton. Not only that, the sport product manufacturers are also sponsors athletes from many different sports such as, Petennis Maric Cilic, pole vaulter Elena Isinbayeva and sprinter Asafa Powell.
According to the Director of the Li-Ning, Mahender Kapoor, signing a new contract with the Indonesian Basketball aims that it is not only sponsoring the sport of badminton, but with also with the other.
“70 per cent for Asia is badminton. Our priority is not just to support badminton, but also other sports. We also sponsor the NBA’s top players, “said Director of Li-Ning, Mahender Kapoor in Jakarta, Tuesday (9/7).
While Andi Kurniawan, as the representative of Indonesia Sport Venture, revealing, in collaboration with Li-Ning, all team apparel will use the product in accordance with the contract clause.
Andi added, that the consideration to working with Li-Ning as a company from the bamboo curtain is a brand that is quite advanced. “For a nominal contract we can not mention, which is obviously the duration of the contract runs for three years,” he replied in the same place. [Cr / bnt]
Jakarta – Todd Purves will no longer be the coach of Indonesia Warriors in the Asean Basketball League (ABL) next season. Warriors decided not to extend the contract which runs out Todd on June 30, 2013.
Todd underwent two that could be considered a successful season with the Warriors. In his first season in 2012, coach from the United States successfully led the Warriors won the first title in the ABL.
In the second season, Todd returned with the Warriors until the final round. But they failed to retain the title after losing to San Miguel Beermen.
“There is nothing wrong or something. It was a wonderful time here and the success that I have had here has given me a good chance in the NBA and internationally,” Todd said as quoted by the official website of the ABL.
“So I hope to continue my career and I owe a lot of the Indonesia Warriors.”
After leaving the Warriors, Purves has not decided where he will continue his career. But Purves admitted that he had received an offer from a number of clubs.
“There are a few options that I was considering with the help of an agent. Has been no decision made at this time but I’ve been contacted by several teams, both internationally and domestically in the United States,” said Purves.
“I will consider the options and will make a decision that I thought would be best for my career and my family,” he said.
Jakarta – Competition ASEAN Basketball League (ABL) season will be more stringent than the previous two seasons, as there are three new teams competing.
Three new teams are San Miguel Beermen (Philippines), Bangkok Basketball Holdings (Thailand), and Saigon Sports Academy Basketball (Vietnam).
They will join the AirAsia Philippine Patriots, Westports KL Dragons, Chang Thailand Slammers, Singapore Slingers and the Indonesia Warriors (last season named Satria Muda BritAma).
ABL’s third season of competition is unlikely to be followed by the Brunei Barracudas. Brunei has decided not to take part in this season.
“The entry of a strong team like San Miguel from the Philippines and the new team of Vietnam and Thailand show that the ABL has been turned into a gladiator ring basketball at the regional level are accompanied with great ambition to be the best in ASEAN,” said ABL CEO Kuhan Foo a news conference in Hotel Mulia Senayan, Monday (09/26/2011).
Meanwhile, SEABA President Erick Thohir ABL participants expect the increase will be accompanied by increased quality competition.
“We did not want to add to the team but the quality of the competition is declining. Moreover, joining a team that is big teams,” said Erick.
“The purpose of the ABL one of which is to improve the quality of local players in order to compete at a higher level. Therefore, we want to make sure that the additions do not make quality competition team down,” he added.
ABL competition was about to begin its third season on January 14, 2012. This is to give an opportunity to the players to defend their country in the event the SEA Games in 2011.
Increasing the number of participants also made the competition so much longer duration. If last season’s competition completed in four months, on the third season of competition will later lasted six months.